So the blog is taking a hit from all of the work that my new business is demanding! You guys, I had NO IDEA how much work this would be! When I look back on how this all started, I am really shocked that I did it.. or that I have made it this far.
I have a whole new appreciation for the retail market and have learned a TON about how this all works!
My big news that I wanted to share a few weeks ago, is that I have signed with a distributor. A distributor ( in this sense) is a rep that sells my products to big stores and websites. This has been a crucial partnership and I am so thankful for them. They have been fantastic to work with.
So here are some of the things I have been working on :
- packaging. This is a BIG deal. It has to be just right, look just right, be the right size.. choosing materials.. colors, fonts. you name it!
- Acquiring UPC codes. You know the bar code thingy? Well you have to pay to be a part of that club, then register your products to get the codes that will be universal for all stores to scan.
- Developing and refining drawings for new products. This is a long process and is generally about 2 months of work. After getting that finalized you get prototypes of the item to test and see how it looks and works.
- Talking to China daily. Quite an effort and somewhat a frustration.
- Getting tested for government safety standards so that we can be sure all the materials are totally safe incase little Johhny or Suzie wants to nibble on them in a teething rage. I already researched and specified this in my materials used, but this is just double checking that everyone did as they were told.
In the end I can say that you guys will LOVE my designs. I really feel ( as a consumer) they are awesome. I am just trying to take the time to tweak them and make sure they look as great as they function. I am not a patient person by nature.. I am so anxious to get everything out there, but just WAIT till you guys see my iphone case! It is the case of your dreams that does everything you could ask... 10 cases in one so to speak! I really can't wait to show it to you!
So thanks for hanging with me, and supporting me and telling all your friends! It means the world to me!
and just for kicks. here is a pic of Peebs with my 1st ikid Prototype:
It is a foam console with handles and a HOME KEY PROTECTOR! This Apple Nerd loves watching him learn how to work the ipad ... melts my heart ( without shattering my nerves, since it is protected).