I had many mixed emotions for the month leading up to this event and here were the main points:
- It will be good for my fam and PB to bond without me around. That is important and they will all get lots of time with him this way and learn his ways.
- What if we get all the way to New Orleans and I feel to sad or bad about myself for leaving him behind..
- He wont take a bottle. I have tried and TRIED to teach him in the weeks leading up to this event. I knew if all else fails he could be fed rice cereal with lots of breast milk, but ... I was worried about his attachment to the boobies for comfort. I don't usually boob him to sleep anymore and we had established somewhat of a routine, so I thought that part would work itself out.
- I was worried about him waking up at night and exhausting my mom and nonie (grandma) because he still wont sleep through the night, but I thought maybe they would CIO since I am not tough enough for that.
- I was worried and wondered exactly what the little dude would think, if he would realize how long I was gone, or if he would be scared to be in a different place etc I didn't want him to feel abandoned. But he loves all people and is very friendly and not clingy to me so I thought that might be OK..
1. I def. think they bonded and enjoyed each other, but i think it was very stressful for all parties involved and not as relaxing and loving as I envisioned.
2. I actually did not worry about him or feel bad about leaving him, in fact we were having a great time and really enjoyed that couple time we had up until I found out PB wasn't doing so well without momma, then I was in acute panic mode until we were reunited.
3.Everyone assumes I make this no bottle thing up, and they can fix it. Erik especially. He thinks this is crazy. He made us stop at Buy Buy Baby and buy about 80 different types of bottles and nipples determined to find one he will take. So far we are 3:0. He refuses! He also refused for mom and nonie, in fact it ANGERS him that you would even offer him some artificial bottle. Momma had to spoon feed him breastmilk.
4. Pretty sure he did exhaust them, because turns out he BARELY SLEPT the whole 3 days/2nights I was gone. He napped for 20 minutes at a time ( twice a day, as opposed to 4 hours of napping at home) and basically slept off and on in their arms at night. All that routine I had established was a bunch of malarky when I was not there. So they were all exhausted when I got back. Turns out they don't enjoy CIO either.
5. I think PB def knew I was gone and missed me and his boobies. Mom said he would look around at his surroundings very confused like so I think he was just confused by the whole thing. so sad.
So it was a disaster and we are not able to take some other trips we had planned. I really thought it was gonna be OK. I have learned some lessons. Feel free to learn then with me:
- I should NEVER have allowed him to forget how to use the bottle. He took one like a champ for months and then a few weeks went by where he didn't get a bottle and he completely BROKE UP with the "bah". I MUST figure out a way to get him back on a bottle or sippy. Advice welcomed.
- I should have eased into it. Like tried one night at a time first, and I should have stayed there a day or 2 before leaving him so he would have time to get used to all his new people.
- Maybe I need to start letting him get used to being without me and staying with different people. Gonna think this over.
He did have some good times in Monroeville though! My bro was precious with him all weekend. Here is a hilarious video of my brother eating dinner with Peebs. It's funny because my brother eats like a garbage disposal, my brother still goes to my moms for a meal EVERY day, and PB is about to battle him for some macaroni! ha
We also took a few pics in the yard and this was pretty entertaining. PB though the grass was a gold mine of snacks. I had to constantly take things out of his hands while in route to his mouth, which Will immediately mimicked. A funny thing he also did was he wanted to eat puffs again and he also wanted my mom to put some water in one of Fenn's bottles so he could drink out of it!
and just because my dad's pics ever hardly make it to the blog, Here is big Mike now and momma and Erik hugging right before we loaded up to leave again :(